Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Insomnia's A Pain In The Ass

That's right ... no sleep for me.

Slept almost ten hours today ... didn't wake up until 6:30 PM CST. That is what I tend to average in a week, so I don't expect to sleep for a few days.

On the bright side, that will give me some time to pay attention to the window manager codebase that I've been mucking about with. In April, I started a fork of the flwm window manager (by Bill Spitzak). It hadn't been updated in three years, and that means that it no longer works with the gui toolkit that it was written to utilize, fltk.

Unfortunately, my fork is about to drop the fltk dependency as well. It's not that I don't like fltk ... it's just that the newer versions of fltk seem to be considerably more buggy than the older versions. For example, trying to pop up the system menu in awflwm will occasionally cause any window near the mouse cursor to be half-sized, which is complete balls. So, I've started writing a pure Xlib backend for awflwm. This is going to take a considerable amount of time, because I don't know the first thing about straight Xlib programming. I do have a couple of books on the subject ... just never got around to fucking with the concept. I thought about lifting some code from blackbox, but that seems like it would be as much (if not more) of a pain in the ass than just writing the new backend out right.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home